The Faculty of Social Work offers a University Transfer route to students who will have completed:
- A minimum of 19 half-course equivalents (57 units) non-social work university transferable courses plus SOWK 201 Introduction to Social Work or its equivalent
- An undergraduate degree in another discipline from a recognized institution and SOWK 201 Introduction to Social Work or its equivalent.
All courses must have been completed by the end of the Winter Term preceding the Fall Term for which entry is sought.
To learn more, please explore the Admission Requirements for the University Transfer route.
In order to prepare for successful completion of a BSW, the Faculty of Social Work recommends that, as part of the 19 university transferable half-course equivalents required for admission, prospective University Transfer applicants complete non-social work courses in the following areas:
- English/Effective Writing
- Political Science
- Indigenous Awareness in the Canadian Context
- Human Development Across the Lifespan
- Social Welfare and Social Policy
- Research Methods
- Public Administration or Public Policy
- Women's Studies
- Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies
Prospective students should note that these topic areas are recommended and NOT required. No admission preference will be given to applicants who take courses within these areas.
Note: Students with a previous undergraduate degree enter our University Transfer route to complete the BSW. The Calgary-based MSW program also offers a route of admission (Foundation program) for students with a degree in a discipline other than Social work.